A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, February 18, 2019

Spider's Web: Daredevil Piecing

I've been puzzling over this complex repeat design. It's quite
a successful example of what makes pieced quilts so appealing.

I did find the design in BlockBase:  #1306 Spider's Web from the Laura Wheeler pattern syndicate in the 1930s. They (whoever the artists really were) were so good at creating secondary designs.


Here's the pattern sheet with their shading ideas.

I exported #1306 from BlockBase to EQ8 and recreated
the pink and red shading in the old quilt.

The original had 49 blocks, a grid of 7. Here it is at 25.

The quiltmaker pretty much followed "Laura's" shading idea.

Monochrome
My first thought in looking at piecing this is that it's Daredevil Piecing.
Not only do you have to get the 8 seams to meet in the center, you
have to get 8 seams to meet in the corners.

I think I'll just draw it. You can piece it.
I thought I'd try to emphasize the star, the secondary pattern.

First by making the major pattern two shades of light

Then two shades of dark.
Well, see what you can do.

Print this out on an 8-1/2" x 11" sheet and you'll have a pattern for a 12" block.
You can make templates or use it as a triangular paper foundation. For paper foundations
you'll need to print 4 copies. The construction is just like the Stars in Her Crown blocks
we're doing at my Material Culture blog.




Virginia says she would do it this way. Make strips (maybe wider top and bottom strips).
Then cut pie shapes to make an octagon?
Add corners?
Still have to get 8 seams to meet in center and corners.
Not a problem for Virginia.

Me.....
Ooops!
Missed it by that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment