A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, August 26, 2019

Pete & Repeat

A Turkey red and white quilt with a puzzling pattern.
Maybe from 1880-1925.
The pattern?


I always say go to a corner to figure out the repeat. But this top corner is no help.

The cool thing is the negative/positive pattern. A red windmill with
an identical white windmill in the negative space.
Pete and Repeat

I thought this might be the basic block.

But when I Photoshopped four together I got this. Not it.

I think this is it. A block with a pieced sash.

Here's the basic block, a simple nine patch.

BlockBase #1681 Calico Puzzle

Eveline Foland published the nine patch in the Kansas City Star in 1930,
 showing four blocks together.

Becky Brown made a pretty period block for our
Civil War Sampler book.
Here's the pattern for Becky's 8" Block:

It would be best to pattern this in increments of 3 as it's a nine patch.
So a 12 Inch Calico Puzzle block

I had BlockBase figure the rotary cutting for the block.



And I figured out the sashing on my own.
The strips finish to 4" wide and the larger squares in them to 4"
The four patches are pieced of  2" finished squares.

Pete and Repeat 
12 blocks 12"
plus 4" sashing
52" x 68"

2 comments:

  1. Part of what makes it puzzling is the apparent mistakes in how it was put together. I think the 4-patches on either the vertical or the horizontal sashing are turned the wrong way. At least I would find it easier to look at if one or the other was turned 90 degrees so that all four petals, or windmill vanes, were the same shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see patterns in things very quickly. I love this design! A blue and white one is in my future.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete