A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, March 23, 2020

Broken Heart


Last year Jill posted a mystery pattern.
Looks, like most Turkey red and white quilts, to
date from about 1880-1925.

This seems to be the block with a red square in the center.
Even figuring out the repeat wasn't easy.
Unknown pattern.

But when I was going through Mildred Dickerson's pattern scrapbooks in the Quilt Research Center at the University of Nebraska Libraries I came across this clipping.

Broken Heart 
Oh, now I see the heart.
From Prairie Farmer magazine.
1931
I'd have thought the quilt was older than that.


It's a nine patch, I guess.

Here it is in BlockBase as #2910, Broken Heart. Didn't see it as a nine patch though. The
seams weren't too clear in the photo.


1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful quilt. Didn't expect hearts to be the pattern. I totally lose the block in the quilt and can't see the hearts but I do see them in the block. But lovely. ;^)

    ReplyDelete