A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, October 22, 2018

H-h-h-hard to see the H's

There was a question about this colorful mid-20th-century top.
Pattern name?

I didn't recognize it but once I parsed it out I realize it is a Kansas 
City Star pattern
"4-H Club Quilt"
from 1932




Carrie Hall pieced it in Four-H Colors.
From the Helen F. Spencer Museum of Art

Four H is a club for rural kids interested in agriculture, biology, crafts, home arts etc.

Here's their trademark

4-H project dress from the 1930s displayed at the
Wisconsin Museum of Fiber Arts

Nashville in 1961




2 comments:

  1. Love the 4H-ers in the bobby sox, Keds, felt circle skirts, turned up 3 quarter inch sleeve (dacron?) blouses, permed hair (all of them have super curly hair) and cat's eye glasses. I wasn't 4H but in the 50's I owned and wore every single one of those items. I'll bet they made their own skirts and blouses, that blouse pattern looks like one we had to make in Home Ec. A blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I remember proudly displaying our 4-H projects. My favorite was a macrame bridle and reins I made for my horse. Probably a favorite because I won a blue ribbon!

    ReplyDelete