A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, October 1, 2018

Odd Fellows March

The Antebellum Album block for September on my Civil War Quilts blog;
This new block by Denniele Bohannon

See post & pattern here:

Block from about 1885
It's one of my favorites.

And I see I have quite a few orphan blocks.

Maybe 1900

And a very skewed top with a variation from about 1850, which has some great fabrics in it.


Some of which I reproduced. The madder red print above was in one of my Civil War lines
with the center square being the repro. I had to cut out the original square and send it away to
be copied (before I had a scanner.)

Album quilt by the North Falmouth Congregational Church in 1850
See page 276 of Massachusetts Quilts for the whole glorious photo.

The Antebellum Album Block of the Month is drawn from popular friendship blocks in the pre-Civil-War years. This flying geese variation was a fashionable design for signature quilts then.


It's #2902 in BlockBase. 

I  found it published several times when I wrote my Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns decades ago. And now I've found older published examples.


Godey's Lady's Book published it in October, 1858 with no name.

Here's the block.
You didn't get much information in a quilt pattern in 1858.
The Ladies' Home Journal published
Odd Fellows' March in 1894.
Did the Odd Fellows refer to the fraternal organization or the scrappy triangles?


Now that I have better information about the 1911 Clara Stone catalog I see her
Baltimore Belle design has more triangles.


A variation (geese flying in rather than out of the block) is in the corner of Charlotte Gillingham's early album (1842-3) in the collection of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

And there are two variations in the Ella Maria Deacon quilt at the Art Institute of Chicago.
Ella's is dated 1841-2 and the signers are from New Jersey.



Quilt dated 1847 and signed M.E.H.
from Forsyth's Auctions

I was surprised to find this block as a popular album design, but that square in the center is perfect for a sentiment of some kind.

2 comments:

  1. It is a nice block to make. The Godey's Lady's Book version threw me off until you drew on it....thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just hung a lovely quilt in this pattern at the New England Quilt Museum. It's a recent acquisition and was made in Vermont.

    ReplyDelete