A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, February 22, 2021

Minimalism From the Bauhaus

 

We've been talking about minimalism over at QuiltCon.

The quilt must have been folded and exposed to light more
where the red has faded--or maybe it was a different dye lot.

Strict modernists like the Bauhaus bunch from Germany a hundred years ago dictated 3 acceptable shapes:                     
Circles, squares and triangles.

If you are an AQSG member you can watch our AQSG booth presentation from last weekend here at the organization's YouTube site. 

Looking for a suitably modern/antique quilt I came across this one from an online auction. Squares and a flattened circle. Kind of inspirational. 

Related to these patterns in the new BlockBase+. We changed the coloring in the new version and this is a pretty page. Oh, but I digress.
Anyway I don't see the exact pattern so I am going to use #2673 to draw a 10" pattern. The circle will be rounder in the pattern than in the vintage quilt.

Circles and squares, how modern can you get? I named it Bauhaus
after the German school of design.

I am learning the new BlockBase+ and a new version of Photoshop on my new computer. It will be worth it in the long run but right now....

Waaah!

And speaking of Waah! here's an UPDATE. I found the published pattern. 


Miss Hattie Thompson made up a set of four (to show how it should be shaded) and sent the block to Comfort magazine in 1911.
Rosette.
 I doubt Hattie ever heard of the Bauhaus. The claret colored quilt above is not set counterchange fashion but I bet Hattie was the source.

I drew it in my new third edition of the Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns and numbered it #2672.5.

1 comment:

  1. Learning is what helps us stay young. It isn't always easy to get to the results we want, but when we get there, WOW!

    ReplyDelete