A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, March 1, 2021

Lovenda's Patchwork Feat

 


The Indiana project came across this quilt brought
in by a descendant's in-law who said she'd inherited it and
it was made by Lovenda Sampson (1859-1937)
 of Sand Fork, West Virginia in Gilmer County.



The photo is none too good but you can see it is a version of Seven Stars in a Circle, which is what the family called it---Southern style pattern. What makes this quilt a feat of drafting and sewing is that
the stars are based on 5 rather than the usual 6 points. And she has three sizes of 5-pointed stars in each circle.

She was darn good at geometry or knew someone who was.
I picked a few five-pointed stars in BlockBase (the old BlockBase) and exported them to EQ8

Did a little redrawing in EQ and then I was stuck.

So I exported the drawing to Photoshop and started duplicating layers and moving them around. And plopped it in a circle. One problem with these Seven Sisters in a Circle is that the star parts have straight seams and the circle fill-in has curves, which makes for a slightly wobbly circle.

Here's an 8 inch pattern. Double it for 16 inches. 

I'm updating these posts I wrote before I got my copy of the new BlockBase+. Here is the 5-pointed star page with 5 additions in the new program.




4 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE this! Thanks so much, Barbara, for the lovely Lovenda's Star pattern! I have got to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please re-check the dates for Lovinda. Kind of backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops typo on Lovenda. She lived into the 20th century.

    ReplyDelete