A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, December 5, 2016

Victorian Puzzle Revisited

Victorian Puzzle by Ann Rhode,
Quilted by Angie Woolman
2013

A couple of years ago I made several variations of this string-pieced diamond design.
I recently sold this one from my Etsy shop.

I called it Victorian Puzzle.

My inspiration: some late 19th-century quilts
in a pattern with no name.
It's a variation of a string quilt, narrow strips of different sizes, pieced over a foundation.


You have to see the pattern as a diamond to understand it.


Here are two posts: http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/2012/02/victorian-puzzle-saga-i.html
http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/2012/02/victorian-puzzle-saga-ii.html

I've found a few more examples since then.

As a signature quilt, Vevay County, Indiana

Someone gathered a few signatures on the black strips in the one above.

In this late-19th century silk example the shading changes. The central strips are narrow and multicolored and the diamond's points are large and mostly black...

Which creates a hexagon framed by several outlines.

Connecticut Project& the Quilt Index
It really is a puzzle. I think people sometimes gave up too easy.



If you want to make one:
See Sujata Shah's tutorial:

Karen Griska sells a pattern for Diamond Dish




And EQ shows you how to draft it on their DoYouEQ page:

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you found more versions of Victorian Puzzle. I sure hope we see more being made. Tutorial on my blog is still available for anyone who wants to make one.

    ReplyDelete