A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, July 17, 2017

Flying Swallows

BlockBase #3758
All the quilt photos are from online auctions.


Ruth Finley called this variation on a star block
Circling Swallows, Flying Swallows and Falling Star.

The pattern is hard to see. Here's a BlockBase/EQ7 drawing.




In her 1929 index to patterns, Finley wrote that the pattern dates from about 1800, a very dubious date. I don't have any pictures of the design earlier than the 1930s or '40s. Finley was probably responsible for popularizing it in the 1930s.


The Quilt Index has 8 examples that I could find, dating from the 1930s to the 1980s.


So it's not a really old pattern, but one with a lot of potential.



Laura Wheeler pattern for "Wreath"




6 comments:

  1. Cool block - quite dynamic..Looks like a good candidate for hand piecing. Not that I'm gonna do THAT anytime soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just purchased a beautiful example of Flying Swallows. 1930's fabrics on white background. Heavily hand quilted. Thank you for adding more information to my knowledge base!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you Lois. I'd rather buy one than piece one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your site. My great aunt gave me a quilt in this pattern years ago and I never knew its name before

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently piecing this pattern with English Paper Piecing using solid batiks: eggplant purple background and a different solid color for the birds in each block. I plan an underplaying curvy line of birds for the border.. I have always wanted a quilt with this pattern and this was the best way for me to manage all of the Y-seams. It is my travel project that can be carried in baggies and gallon ziplocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am making one now with English Paper Piecing using solid batiks: eggplant purple background and each Blick with a different solid color. It is my travel quilt project as it fits in baggies and gallon ziplocks. Best way to manage Y-seams!

    ReplyDelete