A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, December 3, 2018

Whirlwind of Modernism

What a strange quilt! From the fabrics looks to be maybe 1960s.

From an online auction

I used those kind of florals in Home Ec.back then. I made a skirt of brown polished cotton. The blocks are rectangles and there are two alternating---
Well, I guess you could also classify it as a square cut in half but I did find it in that rather sparse section of  rectangular blocks in BlockBase.

BlockBase #222.8 in case you want to make one.
Published as Whirlwind From Woman's World magazine which collected some of their
articles on quilting in The Patchwork Book.


Their coloring in 3 fabrics makes for a more coherent design, which looks like a squat hexagon.

If you click on the source name in blue in BlockBase
it will tell you what I know about the magazine: A Chicago based
periodical. The Patchwork Book was published in 1931.
Someone kept it for thirty or so years and decided to make a modern design.

1 comment:

  1. I rather like the geometric look of this unusual block. I think it cries out for foundation pieced construction and careful restraint in fabric selection. And as a confessed quilt pattern hoarder I can identify with holding on to patterns for years...

    ReplyDelete